- Commercial Finance
- Affordable Housing and Tax Credits
- Capital Markets & Private Placements
- Startups & Emerging Companies
- Employment & Executive Compensation
- Partnership Transactions & General Corporate Counseling
Betty brings more than 30 years of experience in corporate law to help clients meet their business objectives in the areas of finance (including private equity and debt financings, as both issuer and investor counsel), mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, strategic alliances, securities law compliance, corporate governance, and executive compensation. She also represents both lenders and borrowers in structuring, negotiating and documenting complex commercial lending transactions, including syndicated and participated loans, asset-based loans, mezzanine financings, and acquisition financings. Her practice typically involves counseling clients across a broad spectrum of industries.
Prior to joining Berkowitz, Trager & Trager in August 2007, Betty spent 16 years at Paul Hastings, the last five years of which she was a partner.
Upon graduating from St. John’s University School of Law in 1989 (where she was a member of the St. John’s Law Review), Betty spent her first year in practice as a corporate associate at Battle Fowler LLP before moving to Paul Hastings. She received her B.S. degree (cum laude) in nursing from Molloy College in 1983, and worked as a critical care nurse for several years before attending law sc hool
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D.,1989
- Molloy College, cum laude, B.S. Nursing, 1983
- State of Connecticut
- State of New York
- Connecticut Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Red Cross
- Medical Reserve Corps of Westport Weston Health District
- Representation of a medical insurance emerging growth company in connection with its conversion from a limited liability company to a corporation, and its subsequent Series B financing.
- Representation of video gaming company in connection with its $10 million debt financing, follow-on $ 23.5 million equity financing and subsequent conversion from a limited liability company to a corporation and reverse merger into a public company traded on the OTCBB, as well as merger and acquisition transactions and licensing arrangements.
- Representation of lender in a $10.5 million mortgage loan refinancing of an office building.
- Representation of loan arranger, administrative agent and lead lender in syndicated $18 million refinance and construction loan facilities extended to a 250-room hotel and conference room center.
- Representation of lender in $4.3 million term and revolver facilities extended to a consumer products company.
- Representation of medical insurance emerging growth company in connection with formation, $65 million Series A financing, follow on $25 million Series B financing and $10 million Series C financing, executive employment arrangements, licensing arrangements, and ultimate $75 million sale of the company.
- Representation of emerging growth company in connection with formation, $1 million angel financing, $10 million Series B and $5 million Series C follow on financings, executive employment arrangements, and ultimate $22 million sale of the company.
- Representation of a medical diagnostics company, including private equity financings, initial public offering, secondary public offerings, PIPE financing, securities compliance and periodic SEC reports, strategic corporate alliances, executive compensation matters, and ultimate $350 million sale (by way of merger) to another public company.
- Representation of acquirer of convenience payments processor, including gateway.
- Representation of potential acquirer in effort to acquire 90,000 merchant portfolio and related sales engine out of bankruptcy.
- Representation of affordable housing developer in the acquisition, financing and development of a 100 unit affordable housing project.